Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Natural Smokey Eye

This is my favorite look to do because it's simple and looks great. It's sort of a natural smoky eye. Here's the finishing look!





 1. First, start off using an eye shadow primer. I used to use a liquid primer by Urban Decay, but switched to a cream by MAC because Urban's was a bit stickier, so it made it harder to blend shadows. To apply the primer, I use a concealer brush. Make sure to apply the primer all over your lids, up to your brows, underneath your eyes, and on both corners of your eyes. Don't extend the primer past where you'll be putting eye shadow though, as it does have a nude coloring to it, and feels sticky without shadow on it.



2. Next, pick a champagne colored high lighter. I use Virgin by Urban Decay which is in the Naked palette. To apply it, I use the brush that comes in the palette (similar to a concealer brush with a more plastic feel to the bristles). Apply this to both your brow bone and the inner corner of your eyes. Extend the shade into the area your base eye shadow will go for better blending.


3. Next, add eye liner on both your top and bottom lids. I use Urban Decay's 24/7 eyeliner in Perversion. I like Urban's because it stays on well and is relatively easy to smudge. I like to apply my liner thickly, but that's up to you. Also, mine wings out a bit on the outer corners because I'm partial to the cat eye effect, but the shape of your liner is also up to you. This doesn't have to be perfect because you'll be layer shadow over it.



4. Now pick a shade to use as your base. I would go with a light, matte brown. I use Naked, which is also by Urban Decay and in the Naked palette. I use Smashbox's "Definer Brush" which is #15 and pat the shadow on rather than swipe it on. Yes, you should put the shadow on over your eyeliner. Make sure to pat the shadow on your entire lid all the way up to meet your highlighter. Also make sure to pat it on the inner two thirds of your bottom lid.


5. Now, picker a darker (still matte) brown. I use Buck (also by Urban and in the Naked palette) and the same brush. Put this shade on the outer corners of your eyes (on both lids) and in your crease from the outer corner of your eye to just before the inner. Make sure to blend fully. You don't want there to be a hard line between the darker and lighter browns. Tip: I've heard the placement of this shadow be described as a sideways V, so think of that when applying it.



6. This step is optional. Use a darker brown (I use Hustle which is by Urban and in the Naked Palette) and go over what you just did, but thinner. For this, I use an angled shadow brush. Make sure to blend this thoroughly. I like to wing my shadow out on the outer corners because again, I'm partial to the cat eye look. This is up to you. Also, how low you apply this shade on your lower lid is up to you. I like dramatic eye makeup, so I apply mine low. 



7. Now it's time to reline your eyeliner. I use Shmashbox's "Double-Ended Smudger Brush" which is #20 and the shadow I use Creep (by Urban in the Naked Palette). Just go over your liner with this shadow. Make sure the line is soft. Also, it's important to go over where your upper and lower lids meet on the outer corner of your eye.



8. Now it's time to line your waterlines. Line both your waterlines (top and bottom) with a water proof liner (for staying power). Lining your top waterline (which isn't for everyone as it makes sensitive eyes water profusely) helps the liner on your bottom waterline stay on and also helps line the gap between your top lid and lashes.


9. Time for mascara! For the best ways to apply it, check my earlier post.


10. Lastly, do your eyebrows! For tips and tricks, check my earlier post!


And there's the finished look! Good luck everyone (:

No comments:

Post a Comment