Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Eyebrows

It seems to me that most women don't tend to their eyebrows like they could. Of course most women have them waxed or pluck them themselves, but that's not what I'm referring to. There are a number of ways to change the look of your brows. 



Number one on the list would be waxing and plucking. That one's pretty self-explanatory.

Next would probably be trimming. I don't think this is for everyone, but it's certainly for me. My eyebrow hairs are relatively long and therefore can become unruly. Because of this, I like to keep my brows trimmed. Here's how to do it. Use an eyebrow brush and brush your eyebrows straight up (if it looks really funny, you're doing it right). Now, trim the hair by following the line your natural eyebrow follows and cutting along that line. Personally I use professional hair cutting scissors. Obviously not everyone has those lying around the house. Instead, I'd suggest using a sharp pair that you can be fairly detailed with. Generally you are only supposed to brush the hair up and cut it, but I also brush it down and follow the same process. I'm not sure, but I assume this works for me because I have thick eyebrows. Also, I have an unfortunate cowlick on one of my eyebrows. The inner end of it grows straight up. In order to combat this, I just cut it down to the shape it should be by mirroring my other eyebrow.

You can also pencil in your eyebrows. Yes, this does sound counterproductive, but it creates a stronger (and for those with lightly colored brows), more visible brow. I like to save this look for when I have strong eye make up on, otherwise your eyebrows get sort of lost on your face. Also, you can use powder and a thick, stiff bristled brush to fill them in. A pencil provides a sharper look than powder. I also think powder looks more natural. To fill in your brows, just follow their natural lines. If you're using a pencil, use short strokes in the direction your hair grows. This creates a more natural look as the strokes mock individual hairs.

Last but not least is keeping your brows in place. To do this, you can use either wax or gel. Wax has a little less hold than gel does, but is easier to apply (too much gel gives your brows a wet look). These methods also seem to keep the pigment on from filling in your brows, especially if you used powder. There are even some eyebrow pencils that include wax in them, though this probably has the least staying power of the three methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment