Saturday, July 21, 2012

Mascara - How to Use It


How to get lashes just like this! Well, not really. There are about a million ways to apply mascara. Here are a few of my tips and tricks. (Disclaimer: I've found that in most mascara ads, the models have a heavy amount of black eye shadow or eye liner on. This creates the illusion of fuller lashes. So beware! Unless you do the same, it's virtually impossible to have lashes that thick.. without falsies.)

 how to make your eyelashes longer

First of all, finding a mascara that works for you is key. More expensive doesn't always mean better. If a tube of mascara you bought at the dollar store works for you, role with it. Although, some people (including myself occasionally) like to use more than one mascara. When I do so, I'll generally use a separating mascara as my base coat and a thickening mascara as the main layer, or I'll use a drier mascara (aka older) for the base and a wetter (aka newer) mascara for the main layer. For the base coat, it's very important that you don't apply too much mascara and that there are absolutely no clumps - any clumps you do have will just get worse when applying the main coat. Also, make sure your base coat is dry when you put on the main layer. When layering mascara, I've found that three coats is usually the max, though everyone's lashes and mascaras are different. Find what works best for you!

The best tip I can give you for applying mascara is to shake your brush horizontally as you apply. This separates your lashes and leaves less clumps. Also, make sure there isn't too much excess mascara on your brush. This will lead to clumps. Just rub the extra off on the opening of the tube like you do with nail polish.

Another trick I use is to also coat the top of your lashes (but be careful not to bump your brush against your lid). For this trick, I'll put my mascara on the bottom of my lashes (I'm talking about the top row of lashes. This is how you usually apply mascara). Then, while this is still wet, I'll use the same technique on the top of my lashes (remember to wiggle your brush). Usually I'll finish up with another swipe or two of the bottom of my lashes to make sure they're still pointing in the right direction - up.

Don't be afraid to hit that bottom lash line! I know if you're not used to it it can look a little odd - even goth - at first. But don't worry! It looks more normal with wear and practice. A word of caution: make sure the mascara is heavier on your top lashes than on your bottom so that they don't look too symmetrical.

One trick I've tried (but don't necessarily love) is holding your brush parallel to your lashes and moving it along your lashes (it's like putting on mascara sideways). Only do this to about the end third or quarter of your lashes. The purpose of this technique is to thoroughly coat the tips of your lashes to give them more length. Generally for me, this just creates a clumpy look, so I'm not really a fan. I figured it might work for a few of you though.

If you really have a lot of time to devote to doing your mascara, trying brushing your lashes before applying. I've found this reduces lash clumping and creates a more fan like look for your lashes (use the tool that looks like a miniscule comb for this). I use this trick for very important events and when I want my eyes to look a bit more dramatic. For this look, you need the patience to both brush your lashes and (for the full effect) layer mascara on them. If you take the time to do both those things, you won't be disappointed.

Be sure to hit both the outer and inner corner of your eyes. If you don't hit them, you could shorten the look of your eyes, and no one wants that! Personally, I'm a fan of outer corner heavy lashes, so I make sure to hit that area hard. I find it very easy to miss some of those lashes, especially because the lower and upper lashes tend to mesh on the outer corners.

Last but not least, beware of fall out! For those of you that don't know, fall out is that extra eye shadow powder that falls onto your upper cheek bones and on the top of your lashes. Too much (or any at all really) fall out on your lashes leads to an almost creepy washed out look. It causes your eye lashes to blend too much with your lids. Fall out is very hard to get rid of on your lashes. Generally, I'll brush my eye lashes to help get rid of it. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll use the reverse side of a lash brush (the part that looks like a broom and is generally used for your eye brows) on the top of my lashes. I place it on the top of my lashes very near to the base (my eye lid) and just shake the brush back and forth (horizontally). If even this does not do the trick, put mascara on the top of your lashes (which I generally do with or without fall out). 

Hopefully after all of this, you can all achieve eye lashes from the gods. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment